2 14oz cans of jackfruit
2 tsp thyme
1½ tsp cumin
1½ tsp chili powder
¾ tsp onion powder
¾ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp veggie bouillon or cube
⅛ cup tamari
1 medium onion – roughly chopped or sliced
3 cloves of garlic – roughly chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1 jar of salsa verde, (or traditional red – or some of each!)
Soft corn tortillas
Refried beans (warmed)
Chipotle coleslaw (shredded cabbage, Veganaise, fresh lime juice, chipotle salsa – or traditional salsa and added chipotle chili or chipotle chili powder)
- Open, drain and rinse jackfruit and place in a bowl. Pat dry with a dishtowel.
- Break up softer jackfruit pieces with your hands and cut up harder pieces with a knife until the jackfruit is “shredded”.
- Add thyme, cumin, chili powder, onion powder, and garlic powder until the jackfruit is evenly coated. Stir in veggie bouillon and tamari.
- Coat the bottom of a pot (stovetop, crockpot, or instant pot) in a thin layer of olive oil. Add onions, garlic, and salt, and cook on low until onions are at the “sweat” stage (starting to soften but not browned).
- Add the jackfruit mixture and salsa to the onions and garlic and allow the mixture to simmer on low heat for an hour and a half (or if you are using a crockpot 3-4 hours on low). You can speed this up in a pressure cooker or with constant attention, you can cook at a slightly higher temperature for a shorter time.
- Add a thin layer of olive oil to an unlined cookie sheet. Once the jackfruit is done simmering and the salsa has been thoroughly absorbed, spread the mixture on a cookie sheet and roast at 375° or 400° for half an hour or until crispy, making sure to stir and turn the mixture every 5 minutes with a metal spatula.
- As the jackfruit roasts, some of the moisture will be reduced and bits of jackfruit will start to caramelize on the cookie sheet. The volume will reduce but the flavor will be enhanced!
- Heat corn tortillas one by one in a lightly oiled skillet. Spread with a tablespoon of refried beans and top with jackfruit!
- Finish off with a slice of lightly salted avocado and chipotle coleslaw!