- 2 packages of refrigerated, water-packed firm tofu (pressed).
- 1 cup of low-sodium GF tamari
- 1 tbsp No Chicken Better than Bouillon
- 2 cups of water
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 2 lbs mushrooms – crimini and button mushrooms, or you can use shiitake and maitake
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Add 1/2 cup of finely chopped onion
- Add 2 tsp combo of dried thyme, rosemary, sage, parsley
- Add 1/4 cups of tamari
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- Pepper- several grinds of fresh
- 1 cup of cooked potatoes (can be reserved from mashed potato recipe)
- Potato water is reserved from cooking
- 1 cup of tofu marinade
- Press tofu for 1-2 hours (you can use a tofu press or place tofu between two cutting boards with a heavy pot on top….slanted to drain into sink).
- Slice tofu into desired shapes and thickness (I do uneven and random slices to add interest).
- To make the marinade, combine tamari, bullion paste, water, crushed rosemary and thyme, and crushed garlic in a glass baking dish.
- Add pressed tofu to marinade and place a plate on top to keep the tofu submerged.
- Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Remove tofu from the refrigerator and place slices on an oiled baking sheet.
- Bake in the hot oven until the tops are browned and starting to firm (should take around 10 minutes or so).
- Keep an eye on them, depending on your size preference. Flip pieces and bake on the other side.
- Remove from the oven and place on a serving tray.