- Olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2-4 celery ribs and leaves, chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped (optional)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning blend, or to taste (or any combination of oregano, thyme, and basil can substitute).
*If using fresh herbs, triple the amount.
- 1 tsp dried basil (if you have fresh basil add it at the end instead)
- 1-2 dried bay leaves
- 1-2 zucchini, chopped in large chunks
- 2-4 carrots, chopped in large chunks
- 2 cups seasonal vegetables of your choice (frozen or fresh peas, green beans, squash)
- 4 cups of vegetable stock (or 4 cups of water mixed with two cubes veggie bouillon or equivalent amount bouillon paste)
- 1 28 oz can tomatoes (crushed or peeled)
- 2 tbsp Tomato paste (or to taste)
- 1 tbsp Tamari (or to taste)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 15oz can of beans (any kind, drained and rinsed)
- Mushroom powder, to taste (for adding umami flavor)
- Cooked potatoes, pasta, or rice
- Vegan Parmesan or nutritional yeast
- Coat the bottom of a pot in a thin layer of olive oil over medium high heat. Add onions, celery, and cook until they start to soften, 6-10 minutes.
- Add crushed garlic, red pepper flakes, and Italian seasoning (crushing the dried seasoning as you add them), dried basil, and bay leaves.
- Stir over medium high heat for 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add carrots, zucchini, seasonal vegetables, and broth, and bring to a simmer.
- Add tomatoes, tamari, mushroom powder, tomato paste, salt, and pepper.
- Continue cooking until vegetables are fork tender. Taste and adjust for salt and pepper.
- Add drained and rinsed beans.
- Add your choice of pre-cooked potatoes, pasta, rice, or other grain.
- Optionally top with vegan parmesan, a sprinkle of nutritional yeast, or garnish with chopped fresh basil for a little extra flavor and enjoy!